1) How many books are there in the Hebrew Bible/Tanach?
2) What is the difference between the Torah & the Hebrew Bible/Tanach?
3) What are the 3 divisions of the Hebrew Bible/Tanach?
4) Name all the books of the Torah.
5) Who is the traditional author of the Torah?
6) In what book does Moshe first appear?
7) In what book does Moshe LAST appear?
8) Why is Moshe not allowed into Eretz Yisrael?
9) Who takes over from Moshe?
10) Name 4 Judges/Shoftim, other than Samson/Shimshon or Deborah.
11) Name the 3 major literary prophets.
12) Name 6 of the 12 minor prophets.
13) Other than the Psalms/Tehillim, name 4 books from the Writings/Ketuvim division of the Hebrew Bible/Tanach.
14) Name the 6 biblical books, other than the Torah, which are read in their entirety in the synagogue each year.
15) Which books of the Hebrew Bible/Tanach are usually divided into 2 sections?
16) How many books of the Hebrew Bible/Tanach are named after men?
17) How many books of the Hebrew Bible/Tanach are named after women?
18) Of what books is King Solomon/Shlomo haMelech the traditional author?
19) How many dreams are mentioned in the story of Joseph?
20) How many kings ruled over all 12 tribes of the people of Israel?
21) What is the latest event mentioned in the Hebrew Bible/Tanach?
22) What does the word "Torah" mean?
23) In what book does Saul appear?
24) In what book does David appear?
25) In what book does Solomon appear?
26) In what book does Elijah appear?
27) What was the largest tribe?
28) What was the smallest tribe?
29) To which tribe did Saul belong?
30) To which tribe did David belong?
31) Who was David's great grandmother?
32) What is the modern term for tirosh/"new" wine?
33) How were the Shvatim/Tribes camped around the Ohel Moed/Tent of Meeting?
34) Who built the first Miqdash/Temple?
35) Who built the second?
36) What distinguishes the Olah from any other sort of sacrifice?
37) What did Daniel, Nehemiah, & Joseph all have in common?
38) Who is the traditional author of the Primary Chronicle (Joshua, Judges, Samuel, Kings), & Lamentations?
39) Who is the traditional author of Tehillim/Psalms?
40) Who is the traditional author of Shir haShirim/Song of Songs, Mishlei/Proverbs, & Kohelet/Ecclesiastes?
1) 24 or 39. The minor prophets can be counted as 1 or 12, Samuel, Kings, Chronicles, & Ezra/Nehemiah as either 1 or 2 each.
2) The Torah comprises the first five books, the first major division, of the Tanach.
3) Torah, Nevi'im/Prophets, Ketuvim/Writings.
4) Genesis/Breishit, Exodus/Shmot, Leviticus/Vayikra, Numbers/Bamidbar, Deuteronomy/Devarim.
8) He strikes a rock H" tells him to talk to to get water.
9) Yehoshua ben Nun.
10) Othniel ben Kenaz, Ehud ben Gera, Shamgar ben Anath, Gidon (Yerubaal) ben Joash the Abiezrite, Abimelech ben Jerubbaal, Tola ben Puah ben Dodo, Yair haGiladi, Yiftach haGileadi, Ibzan of Beth-lehem, Elon the Zebulunite, Abdon ben Hillel the Pirathonite, Samson ben Manoah haDani of Zorah.
11) Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel.
12) Amos, Habakkuk, Haggai, Hosea, Joel, Jonah, Malachi, Nahum, Micah, Obadiah, Zechariah, Zephaniah.
13) Proverbs/Mishlei, Job, 5 Megilot/Scrolls (Esther, Ruth, Ecclesiastes/Kohelet, Lamentations/Eichah, Song of songs/Shir haShirim), Daniel, Ezra, Nehemiah, Chronicles/Divrei haYamim.
14) 5 Megilot/Scrolls (Esther, Ruth, Ecclesiastes/Kohelet, Lamentations/Eichah, Song of Songs/Shir haShirim), Jonah.
15) Samuel, Kings/Melachim, Chronicles/Divrei haYamim.
16) 22, counting Samuel Bet. Joshua, Samuel, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Amos, Habakkuk, Haggai, Hosea, Joel, Jonah, Malachi, Nahum, Micah, Obadiah, Zechariah, Zephaniah, Job, Ezra, Nehemiah, Daniel. 23, if you count Kohelet/Esslesiastes.
17) 2. Ruth & Esther.
18) Proverbs/Mishlei, Song of Songs/Shir haShirim, Ecclesiastes/Kohelet.
19) 6. 2 of his, 2 of Pharaoh's, the Baker's, & the Butler's.
20) 3. Saul, David, Solomon.
21) Permission by Cyrus of Persia for the Exiles to return to Israel from Babylonia.
22) Teaching or instruction.
23) 1 Samuel 9.
24) 1 Samuel 16.
25) 2 Samuel 12.
26) 1 Kings 17.
32) Grape Juice
33) Three tribes to each cardinal direction, Numbers 2:10-31.
35) The SECOND was actually built following the Shivat Tziyon/Return to Zion (Jerusalem) permitted under the Persians, c. 539 b.c.e., and was massively expanded by the Roman appointed, ethnically Edomite king Herod, early in the first century c.e.
36) It is burned entire, not eaten.
37) High level government jobs
38) Jeremiah &/or his disciple/secretary Baruch ben Nuriah